Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bead Table Wednesday, Issue #3: Vintage Possibilities

I'm getting ready for my next Artbeads.com Design Partner Portfolio project, which will require me to incorporate a vintage item into my jewelry design.  I went rooting through my stash and came up with a few things ... now I just can't make up my mind!


The vintage fabric is courtesy of a few dresses that were given to me by a family friend, handsewn in the 1960s with these incredibly psychedelic patterns.  I've already started using the fabrics in other projects, experimenting with sewing and shaping techniques.  The porcelain pendant, rose brooch and copper-tone brooch (that one's bottom left) were all picked up from a local thrift store.  The striped blue-and-white glass cabochon in oxidized copper setting were previously part of a bracelet; in fact, you've already seen its part of the bracelet's "repurposement" in the Winter Enchantment project!  I have a few more pieces left over that are in need of a home.  The antiqued silver owl pendant with lucite setting - owls are always on trend, it seems - are vintage from the '70s, if I remember my mother telling me correctly.  (The pendant belonged to my grandmother.)  The gold-plated Chanel charm - an authentic! - was part of an awesome find Nick happened upon at a garage sale; the thoughtful man he is, he bought them for me and surprised me with them.  I've this one left, and I'll need to make it special.  The gold-plated piece with filigree detail was part of a necklace I had picked up at an antiques store in Sherkston Shores whilst on vacation with Nick and his family.  The gold-plated rope chain originally held the asymmetrical heart-shaped pendant that found its setting in the Desert Heart necklace, part of the Bead Soup Collection.  Maybe it'll find it's way into something here?

I already have about three or four ideas cookin', but I gotta focus and pick one.  Which ones are your favourites?

4 comments:

somethingunique said...

Hi Cassandra, they are all so unique with the history they have but i am always a sucker for owls i just love them and i think you could really create a stunning piece with it ttfn L:)

Anonymous said...

What a difficult decision... the are all so beautiful and each tells their own story... tough choice, I cant wait to see where you heart goes with this!

Anonymous said...

What a difficult decision... the are all so beautiful and each tells their own story... tough choice, I cant wait to see where you heart goes with this!

Pretty Things said...

You have some cool things there -- I have no idea what I'd choose!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...