Sunday, October 9, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

We're heading to Mum's for turkey on Thanksgiving Monday, and I know it'll be a good one.  We always have a good time at Mum's, and Shiva always does, too.  Running around with two chocolate labs can tire out a chihuahua pretty quickly.  Mum and I pour out the family tree stuff to figure out the pieces, which has been our personal project for the last little while.  Nick and Bill head to the basement or to the garage to go through the multitude of tools they're looking to unload - Nick's only happy to oblige.  There's always conversation over after-dinner drinks after all the relatives leave, and the dogs tire themselves out from chasing each other, sprawled over the living room rug looking exhausted, but content.  So, as I look forward to a lovely day with Mum's amazing cooking (I can't wait for those brussell sprouts!), I consider the impending holiday and what it represents.

Every holiday that comes around, we're reminded that we should be celebrating the sentiment everyday.  Thanksgiving is no different, when we consider at times how fortunate we are in hard times nowadays.  We have friends and family who sacrifice when we come to call, we have the basic necessities of life to keep us through another day, and we have the freedom to pursue what we please to the ends of a better society and self.  Although at times financial and emotional burdens make our hearts heavier with dread and worry, I remind myself of recent times that make me thankful for what I have today.



Through unemployment, career changes and new challenges, I wouldn't have been able to make it without a support circle of friends and family who have stayed by my side.  I've had ups and downs with my depression and applaud myself with how everything was handled.  Really, there's no point in saying you'll do anything differently, because you can't - the thing to be thankful for are compassionate people who understand what you need and why.  A lot of friends haven't heard from me in a while and I'm grateful to be accepted with open arms. 

I'm also thankful to be strong enough to pursue a career in theatre and performing arts.  I stuck my neck out, prepared myself as much as I could and dove into it head first.  It's going great so far.  I'm thankful for my employers who are open to me pursuing my craft and expanding my horizons, and trusting me so much with important decisions.  More doors have opened and I'm rather excited about what's to come when I walk through.

There have been a lot of learning experiences with what I do here, both in the creative and business processes.  Although I've closed my Etsy shop, I've learned quite a bit how to represent my 'brand' and how I can shape it into something more cohesive in the future.  It's not easy, especially being a one-person operation.  I've made a lot of friends and had many influences over the past few years on Etsy.  There's thought of returning.  I'm still thinking about it.  What I've gathered from Etsy is invaluable, and I don't think I would have had the opportunity anywhere else when I first started.

And, of course, there's all of you.  I started this blog way back, jibber-jabbering about how I make stuff and why I make stuff and what kinda stuff I like to make.  I've strayed, I've disappeared, but you guys are still here.  That's why I keep trying.  I ought to give it a better shot, y'know.  It's pretty fun.

So, here's to you and everything you're thankful for, because I'm thankful for you.  Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...